Want to download After Effects? You've come to the right place. In this handy guide, we'll tell you how to get a trial of the industry-standard Adobe video and motion graphics software for free, or how to buy it as part of a Creative Cloud package.
If After Effects isn't the right Adobe software for your creative needs, Check out our guides on how to download InDesign and how to download Adobe Illustrator.
And if you're looking for all the best Adobe deals in one place, check out our guide to finding the best Creative Cloud discount.
From simple videos to full-blown Hollywood special effects extravaganzas, Adobe After Effects is the ultimate VFX software, and with every update it gets better and better. Among other things, After Effects can be used for keying, tracking, compositing, and animation.
The After Effects Interface
Find out more about the latest version in our complete Adobe After Effects CC 2021 review. Try the latest release of After Effects free with a seven-day trial from Adobe. If you like it, you can convert to a paid subscription during or after the trial. There’s no obligation to buy the software, but the onus is on you to cancel before the end of the trial."
- Download a 7-day free trial of After Effects for PC or MacTry the latest release of After Effects free with a seven-day trial from Adobe.
- If you like it, you can convert to a paid subscription during or after the trial.
- There’s no obligation to buy the software, but the onus is on you to cancel before the end of the trial.
- Yes, you can download Adobe After Effects free – in that you can get a free trial.
This gives you seven days to try it out and discover if it’s right for you. A free trial is the only legitimate way to download After Effects for free.
How to Download and Install Adobe After Effects for PC for Free
You might find a pirated version on the web, but downloading that would mean breaking the law and putting your devices and data at risk from viruses and malware.
- To take out a free trial to After Effects, you’ll first need an Adobe ID.
- This is easy, and free, to set up.
- If you don't have one already, go to the Adobe Account Page, click 'Create Account' and follow the instructions.
- Once you have an Adobe ID, head to this page, click on 'Free trial' (next to the blue 'Buy Now' button at the top) and follow the instructions.
- You'll be asked to enter your credit card details, but fear not – as long as you cancel in good time, you won’t get charged.
- However, if you decide to keep subscribing after the trial ends, payments will be deducted from your card.
- If you only need After Effects, a single app subscription to the leading visual effects, motion graphics and compositing software will allow you to download After Effects to your PC or Mac, from $20.99 / £19.97 / AU$29.99 a month."
- Buy After Effects as a standalone app from $20.99 / £19.97 / AU$29.99 per monthIf you only need After Effects, a single app subscription to the leading visual effects, motion graphics and compositing software will allow you to download After Effects to your PC or Mac, from $20.99 / £19.97 / AU$29.99 a month.
- Buy After Effects as part of an All Apps subscription from $52.99 / £49.94 / AU$76.99 per monthAn All Apps subscription will allow you to download not just Adobe After Effects but all of Adobe's Creative Cloud apps, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, along with a range of other benefits.
The cheapest option for buying After Effects is through the Single App plan, which at time of writing costs $20.99 / £19.97 / AU$29.99 per month on an annual plan, It includes 100GB of cloud storage, Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Fonts, and Adobe Spark.
Can I download After Effects for free?
The alternative is to buy After Effects through the Creative Cloud All Apps option, which gives you access to Adobe’s entire collection of creative desktop and mobile apps. This normally costs costs $52.99 / £49.84 / AU$76.99 per month on an annual plan, making it the best option if you need to use several different apps from Adobe (If you’re not sure which Creative Cloud apps might prove useful, see our Adobe software list).
The only way to buy After Effects is as part of a Creative Cloud subscription direct from Adobe, for which you pay monthly or annually.
- As we explain above, there are two broad options.
- The first, and cheapest, is to subscribe to After Effects only.
- The second is take out an All Apps subscription.
- The latter option will cost you more, but gives you access to all of the Creative Cloud apps, along with a range of other benefits.
If the cost seems too high, bear in mind that Adobe often runs special promotions. We keep track of these in our constantly updated guide to the best Adobe Creative Cloud discounts.
Beyond that, there are always discounts for students and teachers (see below), as well as separate pricing for businesses, schools and universities.
Additional Editing Software From Adobe
So it’s worth having a look to see what deals are available at any given time. Student and teacher plan: Get Adobe CC All Apps plan for just $19.99 / £16.24 / AU$21.99 per monthIf you're studying or working in education, Adobe's Student and Teacher plan gives you around 60 per cent off an All Apps Creative Cloud subscription, including After Effects.
Click the link above or 'View deal'. If you’re a student or teacher, you can buy After Effects as part of a discounted All Apps plan with a saving of around 60 per cent off for your first year.
Right now, you get the entire Creative Cloud suite of apps, along with 100GB cloud storage, Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Fonts, and Adobe Spark, for just $19.99 / £16.24 / AU$21.99 per month for the first year, and then $29.99 / £25.28 / AU$43.99 the following year.
- Note that the student and teacher discount is only available on an All Apps plan.
- Once you've downloaded After Effects, check out our roundup of the best After Effects tutorials to get started with the software and boost your skills and knowledge, whatever your current level of expertise.
- Whether you want to get to know the interface and basic features, get to grips with techniques such as custom transitions, text write-on and warp stabilisation, or move on to advanced projects such as rotoscoping nature footage and mocking up AR effects, these tutorials have you covered.
- Also, if you want to save yourself time and effort using After Effects, check out our roundup of the best After Effects plugins.
These plugins will help enhance your workflow, add features that simply don’t exist in the core After Effects application, and simply make stuff look cool.
Get started with After Effects
Once you've got your head around the basics of the software, check out our articles on the best After Effects transitions and the best After Effects templates. Adobe After Effects is a visual effects, motion graphics, and compositing software used for animation and post-production process in the digital design, film, games and TV industries.
With capabilities ranging from keying and tracking to full 3D stereo compositing, this industry-standard tool is at the core of the workflows of many professional motion graphics, VFX and 3D artists and animators.
After Effects can be used in conjunction with many other Creative Cloud apps.
For example, you can import media from Photoshop, Illustrator, Character Animator, Adobe XD and Animate; integrate 3D elements directly inside your compositions using C4D Lite (free with an After Effects subscription) and use Team Projects to collaborate with editors remotely.
|Annual plan, prepaid|
After Effects is continually being updated, and all subscribers to the software can access new features automatically through Adobe Creative Cloud.
After Effects is now in version 22.1.1 which was released in December 2021. Key new features include the multi-frame rendering system (below) to speed up previews and final-quality renders, and a reworked render queue with support for remote notifications.
Where do you buy After Effects?
It's very hard to find a viable alternative to After Effects right now, whether free or paid-for. Quite simply, there isn't really a tool that does all the things that After Effects does. However, you can see our list of the best possible alternatives to cover some of the different aspects of After Effects in our After Effects alternatives post.
Adobe After Effects Features
One of the free options is Blender, a long-running and popular tool for Mac, Windows and Linux. Constantly being updated by its open source community, Blender offers some surprisingly powerful capabilities in the areas of 3D modelling, animation, rendering and composition, and is nowadays even being used in some professional projects.
It won't do everything After Effects does, but it will get you some of the way there. Check out our list of Blender tutorials to see what it's capable of.
Video editing software: The best tools for editing footage.
Best tablets for photo and video editing: Edit on the go. Download Photoshop: How to try Photoshop for free or with Creative Cloud.
If you’re on the lookout for an all-encompassing photo and video editing program that offers you a professional toolset for doing just about any kind of creative editing, you don’t have to search any further.
- Adobe After Effects is definitely the tool you want to check out. The application allows users to create anything from basic editing to character animation, object removal from video clips, 3D designs, and more.
- With After Effects, you can do cross-editing across other Adobe products, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, import from Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
While Adobe After Effects is a subscription-based premium tool, if you follow the instructions below, I’ll show you how to download it free for 7 days. Go directly to the official Adobe After Effects download page.
What is After Effects?
Click the Download button on the sidebar, and a new page will open, prompting you to create an account (if you are a new user or login to Adobe After Effects to continue). After finishing the registration, a download link will be sent to your email. Once Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop is installed, search for After Effects in the list of programs and click on install.
- Then, you can start using the program for your editing needs free of charge for 7 days.
- Adobe After Effects is a must-have program for anyone with an interest in video editing.