This guide will teach you everything about hotkeys to take your gameplay to the next level. Wanna know a big secret? Hotkeys take a big chunk of a player’s skill. Check out the graph below. It’s silly of me to generate such a stupid graph but it’s always nice to remind your brain how huge is 70%.
As usually the guide will be tackled in the very little details. There is also a video version of this guide.. If you’re new to the hotkey world, It’s recommended to use one of the hotkey presets of pro players. For that reason I got you covered with a pack of hotkey files which you can either install them yourself manually or use a little app to accomplish it in glimpse of an eye.
Download the hotkey files zip: Hotkey-Profiles.zip. Press Windows Button + R. Type in: %userprofile%\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE. A folder should pop up. Now inside it you’ll find another folder or more with random numbers e.g. Enter those folders with the random numbers then inside “/profile/” folder extract the hotkey files zip inside them both “76561198079200175” & “76561198286982586”, but if you only have one folder it’s ok.
It should look like this. If you’re feeling lazy to manually install the hotkey pack, you can download this little tool from here:.
Inside the Archive there a “HotkeyPack-DE.exe” file, just double click it ( no need to extract it) Then a window like this one appears:. Press the install button and that’s it.
- We have all these hotkey presets installed automatically.
- I know that some of you out there would prefer a pdf copy of the hotkeys to analyze.
- I got you covered with 4 pdf files and each pdf includes hotkeys list (full table) from GregStein, TheViper, TaToH.
- GregStein Hotkeys (QWERTY) (English Keyboard).
- GregStein Hotkeys (AZERTY) (French Keyboard).
- TaToH Hotkeys (QWERTY) (English Keyboard).
- TheViper Hotkeys (QWERTY) (English Keyboard).
- in Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition or any previous version, we can set hotkeys to 4 sets of units & objects:.
- 1- Military Units. Use your mouse to box whatever object(s) or unit(s) you wish to hotkey then for example: CTRL + 1 (select any number from 0 – 9).
- Now that our army above is set to number 1. There are two ways to employ this hotkey.
- Only selects your units without switching camera view. Selects your units and switches the camera view at their location.
- When taking fights away from town, you can use single click (number 4 for example) to select the town center and queue villagers without having to switch the camera view.
- Or pull your army away using the single click.
- Although Age of Empires 2 do not have dedicated camera hotkeys as those in Starcraft 2… Fortunately for us we do have cycle commands that essentially work like the camera hotkeys for example.
- As long as you build a lumbercamp, mill, mining camp, or barracks.
- You can use go to hotkeys to switch to view to those structures.
- Switch camera to:. Lumberjacks => CTRL + Z (Replicate hotkey to switch to another lumbercamp location).
- Foragers/Farmers => CTRL + W (Replicate hotkey to switch to another mill location).
- Gold/Stone Miners => CTRL + G (Replicate hotkeys to switch to another mining camp location).
- (Same thing applies to barracks, archery range, university, castles, etc.).
- Abuse location hotkeys instead of moving your mouse around to save time and unnecessary moves.
- And keep your hand muscles more energized for important micro tasks.
- Shift hotkeys are a brand-new and exclusive mechanic for the definitive edition of Age of Empires 2.
- A basic usage of shift hotkeying is to assign any unit to a sequential of actions or tasks.
- For example if you can command a villager to do 4 actions by himself:.
- Consume a Forage Bush. Select a Villager. Build a house Then Hold SHIFT key.
- Mouse Right Click on : a forage bush, fish patch, and finally gold patch. Take your finger off SHIFT key.
- Queuing military units with hotkeys makes a colossal difference in the battle and between two beginner players.
- Today I will teach two methods to queue your army then choose whatever you goes with your taste.
- You must first configure Select All hotkeys to suit your needs by entering Options > Hotkeys > Game Commands.
Then scroll down to find them.