- The .apk files are applications for Android (Android Package), similar to the .exe in Windows.
- If you click on an .apk file from a mobile phone or tablet with Android a program will be installed.
- Files with .apk extension are packages that contain an application for Android.
They have the same operation as the classic .exe files found in Windows.
- We click on them (from Android) and an application will be installed on your device.
How to open .apk files
They can not be installed in Windows and MAC by default (at the end of this page we will learn how to do it). They are only for devices with Android. To open files in .apk format you should download it to your Android phone or tablet and open it from there.
To install an .apk file on Android you must activate the option "Unknown origins" by going to: Settings -> Security.
Once this is done, you simply click on the file. A window will appear that you must accept, and it will start to be installed. If you are an Android user you often find sites that suggest downloading the APK of some software. It is simpler than it seems but, at the same time, it can represent a risk.
What does APK mean? Let's start with the most basic, for those users little related to technicalities.
- APK is called files with extension corresponding to .apk and whose full meaning is Application Package File, which was designed for the Android operating system.
- Through these files it is possible to install programs that have been compressed (similar to a ZIP), they work in both phones and tablets -in general in any platform with a similar structure.
- It is worth mentioning that, in order to perform a successful installation, it is necessary to be familiar with all the terms related to the topic, since it is not as simple as downloading an application from Google Play, opening it and enjoying it.
- Like all content that does not come from the Google store, you must test your common sense to know from which sites these files can be downloaded without risk.
- Not all APK files are harmful, because these sometimes represent applications that were removed from the market for different reasons that do not necessarily have to do with being a threat to your phone or tablet.
Open APK files in windows
They also serve for the beta versions that many developers put on their sites so that users who install it give their opinion and improve or fix errors.
If you are one of those who are constantly looking to exploit the benefits of having an Android phone, it is worth having an ativirus, but before leaving all the work to a security software, analyze the sites that suggest the download of such files and above all, know well what you are about to install to your gadget.
A .apk file could contain other formats such as .dex, .res, AndroidManifest.xml, resourcers.arsc or classes.dex, to name a few.
You would need specific software such as Winzip or WinRAR for extracting them, or an emulator. But if we think of most of the APKs, the dynamics is quite simple and only requires attention, since you usually have to click on a link that activates the download of the file and it will be hosted in your Files or Downloads section within the phone or tablet, no matter which cell phone manufacturer or model you use.
- If you are installing a .apk for the first time you will surely see a message warning that the phone is set to not install programs from unknown sources.
- For which you just have to go to the Settings menu.
Programs that open APK files on Windows
Then to the Security section and activate the box from Unknown sources to be able to complete the installation.
- In some phones it appears as Unknown sources. The .apk file can be downloaded from the phone and installed directly.
- If you have it on the computer, simply connect the phone by USB cable.
Is it recommended to install APKs?
Then, pass the file to the memory of the device. Google allows you to activate or deactivate this option. So that you can exploit Android resources, although yes, in the small letters you read "at your own risk".
- File extension Apk installer for Windows is the correct option users have to open it in Windows.
- In the link you will find an application very useful to manage this kind of files for apps and games.
The following programs can run in Windows os:. The Google Android SDK is the standard software that works as an apk opener.
- Genymotion : An android emulator for PC.
- File Viewer Plus. Also you can use these file extractors:.
- Corel WinZip 23. Best sites to Download are the following:.
- APKmirror: app repository. Appbrain: freeware apps and games.
- AndroidFreeware: Lots of downloadable free apk here.
- Also you can download apks from google play.
- .XAPK is an unofficial format for android package files.
- It is a ZIP compressed format that include the android package.
You can open it with the XAPK installer.
- A software from APKpure.
- it is used to install applications in google Android devices.
- Go for a newer version of the AK file.
- Find out if there is adequate memory space on your device.