Models created in v16, can be opened in lower versions such as v15 or v13, (v9 or below are not possible) by exporting the file as a e2k file, via File>export, then open this file in a word processor such as notepad and change the ETABS program label and version number on the fourth line of the text file to the one you want to use.For example from v16 to v15 this will be:.
- PROGRAM "ETABS 2016" VERSION "16.X.X". PROGRAM "ETABS 2015" VERSION "15.0.0".
- Then you can save this file and open in the lower version via File >import>e2k file.
Please notice all new features will not be compatible with lower versions. The innovative and revolutionary new ETABS is the ultimate integrated software package for the structural analysis and design of buildings. CSI Solvers have been tried and tested by the industry for over 45 years. The SAPFire Analysis Engine can support multiple 64-bit solvers for analysis optimization and perform both eigen analysis and Ritz analysis. Parallelization options are available to take advantage of multiple processors. ETABS offers a single user interface to perform modeling, analysis, design, and reporting.
There is no limit to the number of model windows, model manipulation views, and data views. CSI software stores model data and other information in database tables which may be edited directly through interactive database editing. This powerful feature allows models to be developed or edited quickly.
- Design of steel frames, concrete frames, concrete slabs, concrete shear walls, composite beams, composite columns and steel joists can be performed based on a variety of US and international design codes. ETABS offers a wide rage of code-based design features for steel frame, concrete frame, cold form steel, and aluminum frame.
- View a full list of supported design codes: Supported Design Codes.
- With CSI software, collaboration between different AEC teams is handled efficiently through compatibility with other BIM software.
- From this menu browse to the location of the file and navigate to the existing model that we are going to use for setting references and click Open and then OK.
- All the material definition will be directly imported to the new model. Refer to below image.
- All the definition of the frame sections will be imported to the new model as shown below.
- All the definition of the walls and slabs section will be imported to the new model as shown below.
- All the definition of static and dynamic cases of loading will be imported to the new model as shown below.
- And also the load combinations and the design codes and any other definition add in the old model will be imported to the new one.
- You can make it as your default file for the ETABS program for any new model by
- naming the etabs file as default .edb
- copy this file to the folder of etabs program (x/program files/computer and structure/etabs)
- when you begin a new model choose default edb and the program will import all this data directly.
SAPFire® Analysis Engine
There are actually two ways to open the latest version of ETABS into a lower version; the most common practice used by the designer is to import an e2k file, but we need to create an e2k file first using this option. How to create an ETABS e2k file? To simplify the explanation on this article, we will designate the latest version of ETABS model as our “source model” and the lower version as a “target model”.
Creating an e2k file is stated as follows:
- Open your source model. Click on the File-Export-ETABS.e2kText File andSave to a destination folder.
The other way and perhaps the most convenient way to open the latest version of ETABS is using the $et file. Unlike importing as the e2k file, we don’t need to create the $et file, it is automatically generated once we save our ETABS model. We can directly import the $et into our target model. The $et can be found on the project file folder itself.
Whether you use either of the two options, to open the latest ETABS version into a lower version can be execute as per the image below:
Go to File-Import-ETABS.e2k Text File. On the next form, select the folder from where you save the exported e2k or $et file and click ok. This time you can see that the ETABS file with the latest version is opened on the lower version. Refer to the video below for further details:
A very useful book reference in modeling a structure using different structural software for structural analysis that you might be interested in can be purchased on the link below:
Tell us your thoughts. Leave your message in the comment section below. Feel free to share this article, subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on our social media pages.
14,628 total views, 11 views todayCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018-2019 The Structural World