Learning has never been so easy! Microsoft Outlook stores mailbox data in an Outlook data file.
Based on the email account type, Outlook may create an Offline Storage Table (OST) file or Personal Storage Table (PST) file to store a synchronized copy of mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc. on the local system. Offline Outlook OST file allows Outlook users to access their mail items even when the system is offline or the server is temporarily unavailable. However, it is encrypted by default with MAPIEntryID GUID key and thus, can't be accessed or imported into other Outlook profiles.
On the other hand, PST is a portable Outlook data file format, which is also used for backup and migration of mail items from one Outlook profile to another. PST files can be easily opened and imported into any Outlook account on both Outlook for Windows and Outlook for Mac. You can also import a PST file into live Exchange Server or Office 365 (Microsoft 365). Thus, if you need to import or migrate mail items from an Outlook OST file to another computer, Outlook profile, live Exchange Server, or Office 365, you need to convert your OST file into PST format.
Need of OST to PST Conversion
- OST to PST conversion is also required when the OST file enters the orphaned stage or becomes inaccessible due to reasons, such as:.
- Deleted mailbox profile from the Exchange server2. Sudden system shutdown or crash3.
- Large OST size (oversizing)4. Virus or malware intrusion5. Faulty or incompatible add-ins.
- Exchange administrators may also need to convert OST to PST to restore an accidentally deleted or removed mailbox on the server.
- In this guide, we’ll be discussing free methods to convert OST to PST format in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
- ** Free Methods to Convert OST to PST file**. you can use Outlook Import Export Wizard or a third-party OST to PST converter software.
- Outlook Import Export Wizard allows Outlook users to export mail items and contacts to PST and CSV formats.
Thus, the wizard can export the mail items from their Outlook OST file to PST format.
**In Outlook 2010,**.
- Click on the **File > Info** and then select '**Options.' **- Click '**Advanced**' and then select '**Export**' to open the Outlook Import Wizard. **In Outlook 2013, 2016, or 2019**,. - Navigate to **File > Open & Export > Import/Export**. This opens the Outlook Import Export Wizard. - Select **Export to a file** from the **Import and Export Wizard** window and click **Next**.- In Export to a file window, choose **Outlook Data File (.pst)** and click **Next**.- Choose the mail folders and items you want to convert to PST and check the '**Include subfolders**' checkbox.
Then click Next.- Click '**Browse**' to select a save location to save the converted PST file and click '**Next**.- Click **'Finish**. Then enter a password or click '**OK**' without entering the password.
This will convert all the emails and other mail items from the Outlook OST file to an Outlook importable PST file format.