You can use Garmin Express™ software to download and install the latest map and software updates for your device.
nuvi 40 and 50 (GCD file)
Map updates provide the latest available mapping data to ensure your device continues to calculate accurate and efficient routes to your destinations.
- Garmin Express is available for Windows® and Mac® computers. On your computer, go to www.garmin.com/express.
- Select an option: To install on a Windows computer, select Download for Windows.
DriveAssist 50 software version 5.90
Use WebUpdater to install this file.
- To install on a Mac computer, select Download for Mac.
- To install on a Windows computer, select Download for Windows.
- To install on a Mac computer, select Download for Mac.
- Open the downloaded file, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Start Garmin Express. Click Add a Device. Click Add Device.
- When setup is complete, the Garmin Express software searches for map and software updates for your device.
- Select an option: To install all available updates, click Install All. To install a single update, click View Details and select an update.
- To install all available updates, click Install All. To install a single update, click View Details and select an update.
- The Garmin Express software downloads and installs the updates onto your device.
- Map updates are very large, and this process may take a long time on slower Internet connections.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 4.10:
- This download area offers free firmware upgrades for select Garmin® units.
Software License Agreement
- These upgrades are specific to the specific GPS units and software versions listed.
- This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended.
- If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.
- If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service.
Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.10:
- By downloading, installing, or using this software, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the following license agreement.
- Please read this agreement carefully. Garmin Corporation ("Garmin") grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the upgrade software ("Software") in binary executable form in the normal operation of the applicable Garmin products.
- Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Software remain in Garmin.
- This license is personal to you and you may make copies of the software only for your personal use.
- You agree that this license agreement does not need to be signed for it to take effect.
- The software is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind — either expressed or implied — including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
- Garmin does not warrant the performance of the software or that the software will meet your requirements or operate error free.
- You acknowledge that this Software is the property of Garmin and is protected under United States of America copyright laws and international copyright treaties.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 3.50:
- You further acknowledge that the structure, organization, and code of the Software are valuable trade secrets of Garmin and that the Software in source code form remains a valuable trade secret of Garmin.
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.90:
- You agree not to decompile, disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or reduce to human readable form the Software or any part thereof or create any derivative works based on the Software.
- You agree not to export or re-export the Software to any country in violation of the export control laws of the United States of America.
- as of January 9, 2019. WARNING: If this software is uploaded to a device other than that for which it is designed, you will not be able to operate that device.
- If attempts to upload software fail, you may need to return the device to Garmin® for service.
- Fixed an issue that prevented POI category searches from finding results.
- Improved software stability. Fixed an issue on FMI-enabled devices that caused timestamps of submitted forms to be incorrect.
- Improved traffic search performance. Improved software stability.
I agree to the above terms and want to proceed to the download page.
- Fixed an issue where connecting a power cable to a recording Garmin DriveAssist device would sometimes disable the camera.
- Fixed an issue that caused verbal directions to indicate the wrong turn number in some situations.
- Improved software stability. Fixed an issue where underperforming SD cards could cause issues with the device.
- Fixed an issue where notifications would not work properly with the Smartphone Link app.
- Fixed an issue where page results would be shuffled while still interacting with a page.
- Improved software stability.
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.70:
- Fixed an issue that could prevent Real Direction voices from working after the 5.10 software update.
Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:
- Added a feature to view the device battery level when it is connected to a computer.
- Fixed an issue that prevented traffic events from appearing in Italy.
- Fixed an issue that prevented postal code searches from working in Canada.
- Fixed an issue that prevented routes from being recalculated after going off route.
- Improved performance of some Loc8 postal code searches.
- Improved GPS performance. Improved software stability. Fixed a search issue that could cause nearby POIs to be omitted or sorted incorrectly.
- Fixed issues that could cause false wrong way alerts during navigation. Fixed an issue that could cause parking availability prompts to reappear after route recalculation.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the device to cycle the display on and off continuously.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Fixed an issue that could prevent re-routing around traffic road closures.
- Fixed an issue that could cause excessively long route calculation times.
- Fixed an issue with sorting trips in reverse alphabetical order.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent saving preferences for Smart Notification categories.
- Improved performance of some Loc8 postal code searches. Improved GPS performance. Improved software stability.
- Added support for sorting results by relevance when searching Help pages. Adjusted default settings for Audible Driver Alerts to reduce duplicate alerts.