Garmin is a multinational software company founded more than 30 years ago. Since then, they have specialized in GPS technology used for automotive, marine, and aviation maps, outdoor and sports activities, and today they are best known for their watches.
There are several ways in which you can update your Garmin software, so, if you have an outdated version, or if you’re interested in learning how to check your current version, make sure you read this guide. Making sure you have the latest software version is important for several different reasons.
First of all, by having the latest version, you can be sure your device is running smoothly. Also, by keeping your device updated, you know you’re getting all the new tools that come with different updates. When it comes to Garmin watches, unlike other operating systems such as iOS and Android, Garmin’s software updates are unique for each and every model.
How Can I Update My Old Garmin Nuvi For Free?
- That means that you will receive different updates based on the model of your Garmin. Checking your software version in Garmin is simple:.
- Head to “Settings” on your Garmin device. Tap “About.” Here, you will see your Unit ID (serial number), and the current software version of your Garmin.
- If you want to make sure you have the latest version, you can perform a web search by typing the device name and model – updates and downloads, and check the results on the official Garmin website.
- After you’ve found it, you can compare these results to the software version you have installed on your device to establish if you have the latest one or you need to download it.
- The first thing you need to do, if you haven’t already, is to create a Garmin account, download the Garmin Connect app and pair the device with your smartphone.
- After you’ve connected your device with the Garmin Connect app, your software should be updated automatically by default.
- This means that every time there’s a new update, it will be sent automatically to your Garmin device.
However, if you’re not sure this is enabled, or if you’ve disabled this by accident, follow the next steps to set it up:. Go to “Settings.”. Tap “Start/stop.”. Tap “Software Update” – it will be all the way at the bottom.
Now you’ve set automatic software updates. From now on, every time a new update for your device shows up, it will be downloaded automatically and sent to your device. Most likely, your device will restart after every update. This is completely normal and you don’t have to worry about it. If you want to manually update your software, you first need to make sure you’ve disabled automatic software updates, since this is set by default.
Manually Updating Your Software
Once you’ve done that, you can follow these steps to manually update the software on your Garmin device:. Go to “Settings.”. Tap “Start/stop.”. Tap “Software Update.”. If there is a new update available, you will see it here. You will have the “Install now” option, and the estimated time the update is going to take.