Microsoft Outlook 2010 doesn’t support manually opening or importing items from an offline Outlook Data File (.ost). Note: By default, when you add an account that uses an offline Outlook Data File (.ost), the file is automatically created and data from the server is downloaded. Also, if you specify a new folder location for the offline Outlook Data File (.ost), a new file is automatically created. Although not required, you can manually move the existing file to the new folder to avoid the download time that is required to re-create the file. Outlook Data Files (.ost) are used when you have an Exchange account and want to work offline or use or use the default Cached Exchange Mode.
This type of data file is also used for accounts that you set up with the Outlook Connector for Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail).
Default OST File Location
Outlook Data Files (.ost) are always copies of items that are saved on a mail server and don’t need to be backed up like Outlook Data Files (.pst). Offline Outlook Data Files (.ost) are copies of your Exchange information. It is not necessary to back up this file. You can create a new copy at any time. In Control Panel, click or double-click Mail. Where is Mail in Control Panel? Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook 2010 is installed.
The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box. Note: The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time. The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.
What is the Perfect Solution to Resolve OST File Error?
On the E-mail tab, select the Exchange account, and then click Change.
Clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box. Click More Settings. On the Advanced tab, click Offline Folder File Settings.
Click Disable Offline Use, and then in the dialog box that appears, click Yes. Note: If you cannot click Disable Offline Use, this indicates the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box was not cleared in step 4.
This check box must be cleared. Again, click Offline Folder File Settings.
- In the dialog box that appears, click Yes. Under Cached Exchange Mode Settings, select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.
Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish. In the Account Settings and Mail Setup dialog boxes, click Close.
“I have changed my job recently and we use Microsoft Outlook in both the companies for email communication.
I have an OST file which was created in my previous Outlook and now I want to access my crucial emails in my new Microsoft Outlook.
But, I don't know how to open old OST file in Outlook 2016. Can anybody please help me out in this scenario?”. “I am using Exchange Server for a long time now and my Server ID is recently changed.
I lost all my email messages which were stored in my previous ID but now I want to import OST file to Outlook 2010.
Is there any easy solution to add the file?”. Topics Covered in the Post. The OST file stores the same data as of the Exchange Server mailbox on the local system.
This data file proves to be usefil in scenarios when the users can continue their work on the email messages even if they are not connected to Microsoft Exchange.NOTE: You may need to enter the password once again and then click ‘OK’ to begin exporting PST File (check screenshot).
After export, follow steps to open the PST file on different Outlook versions.
Open OST file in Outlook with OST Converter Tool
An OST to PST Converter tool such as Stellar Converter for OST can help you convert an inaccessible, orphaned, or encrypted OST file to PST, RTF, MSG, PDF, EML, and HTML formats. The software can open OST files without Exchange Server extract all mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes, attachments, etc. in PST format with 100% precision.
- However, it can be tricky while working with this file if it is in offline mode and you want to view it in Outlook.
Steps to convert OSTto PST by using Stellar Converter for OST
- So, many users need to open OST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 but some of them don’t know the exact procedure of doing so.
- Thus, we come up with a solution to read Outlook OST files in Microsoft Outlook using simple solutions.
3. Click ‘Convert’
4. After conversion, a message box appears. Click ‘OK.’ You may click on the mail items to
5. Under the ‘Home’ tab, click on the ‘Save Converted File’ button
6. Select ‘PST’ option and click ‘Browse’ to choose a save location
There are two editions of the software: Corporate and Technician. The Technician version also lets you export the converted OST mailbox items to Outlook profile, Office 365 account, or Live Exchange server.
7. Click ‘OK’ to begin exporting mailbox items
Steps to open ost file in outlook2019, 2016, 2013 and older versions
- The PST file aka Personal Storage Table contains all the important data of Microsoft Outlook such as emails, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
In Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013
- These files are stored locally on the computer system.
- The PST file are not directly connected to the Exchange Server as a result of which these files can be easily transferred from one machine to another.
In Outlook 2010
- This functionality of the PST file makes it different from the Outlook OST file due to which the OST file are system dependent.
- But we can easily import OST file in Outlook without Exchange profile or server connectivity.
In Outlook 2007 &2003
- The Offline Storage Table (OST) saves the exact replica of Exchange Server mailbox on the local system and this file is synchonized with Exchange Server.
- Due to this reason, a user cannot move the OST file to another computer and wants to know how to open OST file in Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019.
To import PST to your Outlook account
- Although, there are some restrictions in the OST file, it allows users to read and view email messages and compose them even when they are offline / not connected to the Internet.
- And once the connection is established, the modifications done in the OST file are synchronized with the Exchange Server.
- The MS Outlook forums are usually filled with queries like the user is disconnected from the Exchange Server due to any of the possible reasons and his/hers Outlook profile is created again.
Then follow the PST import wizard.
You can’t open (Offline Outlook Data file) OST in any version of Outlook. You need to convert it to PST file. You can then open or import the PST file to access the mailbox items in Outlook 2019 and earlier versions.
To exportan OST file to PST,use Outlook import/export wizard or a third-party software tool such as StellarConverter for OST. But if an OST file is inaccessible or orphaned, use the software-basedmethod to export OST file data to PST. By using the software, you can alsoexport the OST mailbox items to other formats such as RTF, MSG, PDF, and EML orexport OST items directly to Office 365 account, existing Outlook profile, orLive Exchange server.