- There are various reasons you may want to make a quick assessment of your computer’s capabilities, and if you want your analysis to include both its hardware and its software, resorting to a software utility might be a good idea.
- Free PC Audit is an application that offers to do just that for you since it prompts you a wide array of information about your PC, all in an intuitive GUI.
- First things first, it need be mentioned that the program sports an approachable user interface that does not bank on the idea of interactivity.
- However, that was to be expected, given the informative nature of the app.
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimize your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC issues and remove viruses now in 3 easy steps:
- All the details it extracts are grouped into three categories, namely “System,” “Software,” and “Processes.”.
- The first one bundles various details such as the installed operating system, the Windows product ID and key, your IP address, and system type.
- Then, you can also stumble upon parameters such as the motherboard, chassis, processor, physical memory, printer, multimedia, network adapter, and more, each of them being associated with short descriptions.
- As for the “Software” section, it is where you need to go if you want to check all the installed programs along with specifications such as version, product key, publisher, install date, and size.
Even though at first sight this category seems neatly organized, some users might by a bit disappointed that the listed apps lack their original icons and that it is not possible to filter the software based on any parameter.
Regarding the “Processes” compilation, as its very name makes it transparent, it contains all the currently running processes displayed alphabetically. If you are thinking of storing all the data the program serves you in a report, you can do that, even though its structure is rather rudimentary.
To be more specific, it saves the information in a TXT file, but it can also copy only specific lines that you may want to share with others. On an ending note, Free PC Audit is a lightweight application that offers comprehensive info about your computer’s hardware and software.
Reviews of the Best Free System Information Utilities
It does not require any outstanding tech skills in order to use it, and its GUI is intuitive and easy to navigate, even though it may not be the most appealing of the bunch.
New in Free PC Audit 5.0:Added: Mounted network drives Fixed: Some bugsRead the full changelog . Added: Mounted network drives Fixed: Some bugs.
- add to watchlistsend us an update. 5 screenshots:.
- top alternatives FREE. top alternatives PAID.
- Free PC Audit does not require installation and can be used as a portable application.
- It can be run from a removable storage device such as a CD-ROM drive, USB flash drive, flash card, or floppy disk.
- This professional tool is designed to collect and present the maximum amount of information possible about computer's hardware and software which makes them suitable for users searching for driver updates, computer manufacturers, system integrators and technical experts as well.
This tool gathers detailed information about your system. Professional hardware information and diagnostic tools supporting latest components, industry technologies and standards. General Windows utility for dumping lots of useful Windows, Network and hardware info .
System information tools are software programs that gather all the important, but hard to come by, details about the hardware in your computer system.
This sort of data is very helpful to someone helping you with a problem with your computer. There are other great uses for system information tools, too, like providing data on the type of RAM you have so you buy the right upgrade or replacement, creating a list of hardware when selling a computer, keeping tabs on the temperature of your important components, and lots more.
Shows detailed information on lots of components. Lets you copy text out of the program. Results can be shared via the web and exported to a file.
Works as a regular and a portable program. A report can't be made of specific sections of information. Hasn't been updated since 2018.
Piriform, creators of the popular CCleaner, Defraggler, and Recuva programs, also produce Speccy, our favorite free system information tool. The program's layout is nicely designed to provide all the information you need without being overly cluttered.
EVEREST Home Edition
A summary page gives you brief, but very helpful information on things like the operating system, memory, graphics, and storage devices.
Free PC Audit 5.1
A more detailed look at each category is organized in their respective sections. Our favorite feature is the ability to send system specs from the program to a public web page to easily share with others.
Exporting to a file, as well as printing, are additional options, making saving a list of all your hardware details really easy. This tool should work fine for all versions of Windows. Download Speccy.
Lets you see a summary of everything in one section. Provides lots of detail.
- Supports copying and exporting results. Buttons aren't labeled, which can be confusing. It's often slow when scanning the computer.
- Setup tries to install another program. Another tool that shows detail on a huge variety of components is PC Wizard.
- It's easy to save a report detailing any or all parts of the program, and you can even copy out single lines of data to the clipboard.
- Out of all the system information tools we've used, this one is certainly the most informative.
- It includes not only the basic and advanced information on internal and external hardware, but also useful operating system details.
- PC Wizard can be installed on all versions of Windows, which includes Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
- Download PC Wizard. Info from every category is summarized on one page. Reveals detailed information on computer hardware. It can be used without installation.
- Functions as a demo program. Some information gets truncated. Doesn't let you copy text out of the program.
Shows ads to buy the full program. ASTRA32 is another free system information tool that shows amazing detail on numerous devices and other parts of the system.
There are several categories to separate the information it gathers on hardware, like that of a motherboard, storage, and monitor information.
A system summary section is perfect for seeing an overview of all the hardware and operating system details. Also, a dedicated section for live monitoring is included to show the temperature and current usage of various hardware components.
ASTRA32 works as a demo program, but it doesn't really mean much because it still provides lots of useful information. It can be used on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000, and Windows Server 2008 and 2003.
Download ASTRA32. Results are detailed. Lets you copy specific results. A one-page summary of all the details is available. Supports extensions. Works in Windows, as a DOS program, and in portable mode. Supports alarms. Missing information found in some similar programs. HWiNFO shows nearly the same details as these other free system information tools, like for the CPU, motherboard, monitor, audio, network, and other components.
A sensor status window is included to monitor the current and average speed/rate of the memory, hard drive, and CPU.
- HWiNFO can also run a benchmark against these areas. Report files can be created for some or all of the system components, and you can also set up automatic reporting that sounds an alarm when a sensor exceeds a particular threshold.
- Unfortunately, we found that this program doesn't include as much information as some of the other applications from this list.
- Although, the data it does display is still very helpful. It runs on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, and older ones.
- There's an installer, portable edition, and a download for DOS. Download HWiNFO.
- Shows unique information not found in other programs. Includes basic information on lots of hardware components.
The setup file is really small. Software information is shown, too. You have to install the program to your computer. Belarc Advisor isn't as detailed as some of these other free system information tools. However, basic information on the operating system, processor, motherboard, memory, drives, bus adapters, display, group policies, and users are shown.
In addition to the above, a unique feature is the ability to list all the security updates Windows is missing. You can also view software licenses, installed hotfixes, program usage frequency, and version numbers for select Microsoft products.
Results of a scan open in a web browser and can be viewed on a single web page.
MiTeC System Information X
The program is quick to download and doesn't try to install additional programs during setup, which is always nice. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP are supported. Download Belarc Advisor. Easy to read and use. Completely portable with a small download size.
Supports making reports. Lets you copy text from the program. Includes features not found in other programs.
- Information on some components aren't included in reports. Isn't as detailed as similar tools. Free PC Audit includes all the features you'd expect to find in any system information utility, including the ability for a report to be saved as a simple text file.
- For example, you can see information on all the hardware, like the motherboard, memory, and printers. In addition, it displays the Windows product key and ID, a list of installed software, and all the currently running processes, among many other things.
- Free PC Audit is completely portable, making it perfect for a flash drive. We tested it in Windows 10, 8, and 7, but it should also work fine in Windows 11 and older versions.
Download Free PC Audit. Has a tabbed user interface. Free for personal and business use. Includes very detailed information on lots of components.
Supports copying and making reports.
Get details about your hardware and software with the help of this lightweight app whose informative purpose could benefit users trying to be in control of their PCs
Reports don't include information on some hardware details. MiTeC System Information X is a free system information software program that's licensed for both private and commercial use. The tool is portable, easy to use, and can create a summary report.
Among many other categories, you'll find all the standard details like audio, network, and motherboard, information.
More specific information can also be shown, such as drivers and processes.
- The tabbed interface makes MiTeC System Information X really easy to navigate through if you're viewing more than one report at once.
- This program is said to be compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and 2000, as well as with Windows Server 2019 through 2008. Download MiTeC System Information X.
- Lets you favorite components for easier access. Condenses everything into several categories. It's a portable program.
- Reports can be made of some or all of the data. The program no longer gets updated. It's not as detailed as other similar tools.
- EVEREST Home Edition is a portable free system information tool that scans very quickly and organizes everything it finds into several categories, including one for a summary page.
- All the standard hardware details are included, like that of the motherboard, network, storage devices, and display, with the ability to create an HTML report of everything.
- You can create favorites to have instant access to any hardware component from the menu bar.
- Unfortunately, this program is no longer being developed. This means if it's still not being developed in the future, the new hardware devices that are released will likely not be recognized by the program.
- Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP users can install this program. Download EVEREST Home Edition. Shows detailed information.
There's a summary page. Monitor system resources. Reports can be made for all the info or just some of it.
No need for installation (it's portable).
Free PC Audit
Results are hard to read. The interface is cluttered. Searching doesn't work well. SIV is another free system information tool for Windows that runs as a portable program (i.e., no need to install). In addition to USB, hard drive, adapter, and basic OS details, SIV also includes a live sensor to show CPU and memory utilization.
The interface is a bit hard to look at—the details are too difficult to read. However, if you have the patience to look closely enough, you'll find all the information you'd expect.
It's designed for Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and 2000, plus older versions like Windows 98 and 95.
- It also works with Windows Server 2022 and some older versions. Has lots of features that make it unique. Results are centered around security. Can make reports about what the program finds.
- Isn't built to show as much info as similar tools. ESET SysInspector is dead simple to use because of its search utility and well-organized interface.
- Results can be filtered to show information based on a risk level between one and nine. You can find basic information like available memory, system uptime, and the local time.
- More advanced details include things like environment variables, installed software, hotfixes, and an event log.
This program can also view a list of running processes and current network connections, active and disabled drivers, and a list of important registry entries and system files. We like this tool because it is the only program in this list that is centered around providing detail regarding the security of the computer.
However, it doesn't show exhaustive details like the higher rated system information tools in this list.
It should work in 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and 2000. Server operating systems are also supported, including Windows Home Server. Download ESET SysInspector. System information utilities scan your system to extract information about its hardware, software, and usage.
- They're usually free and often portable, and they tend to extract the same sort of information, just more or less of it, depending on the tool.
- Where they differ most is what they do with that information, which essentially means how they present it.
- Free PC Audit from MIS Utilities is portable freeware that places more emphasis on convenient presentation and ease of use than on fine detail and endless options.
Free PC Audit runs when you click its executable file, which means you can install it on a USB drive or other external device or source and run it in any Windows version from 98 to 7.
Network Inventory Tool Windows XP to Windows 11 for PC software and hardware audits
It scanned our system and presented the results in basic but clean interface with three tabs: System, Software, and Processes.
File, Edit, and Help menus actually do little but save and copy results and access the program's Web page.
Free PC Audit takes a slightly different approach to presenting data than many other apps we've tried.
The Processes tab listed our system's running process alphabetically, but since you'd have to open the Task Manager to terminate or modify any one of them, it's of limited value.