What is USB tethering?
What Is USB Tethering?
- If the traditional ways to enable the network connection on Windows are available, you can use USB Tethering instead.
- MiniTool Software shows you how to set up USB Tethering and how to troubleshoot USB Tethering on Windows 10 in this post.
- USB Tethering allows you to share your phone’s mobile data with other Wifi-enabled devices including the laptop.
Then other devices can surf the internet. Tethering is similar to Wi-Fi Tethering. It will be useful if you don’t have other ways to connect the internet. Do you really understand USB Tethering? If you don’t understand, let’s change another way to make an explanation.
How to Set up USB Tethering on Windows 10
Usually, you use the network cable or Wi-Fi adapter to connect your laptop to the internet. But, if you can’t access the network connection using these two ways, you can USB Tethering instead to allow the network connection.
Unlike Wi-Fi tethering, USB Tethering works through the USB connection. You can consider USB Tethering as an Ethernet connection.
But, it is much faster than Wifi tethering and even Bluetooth tethering. Usually, USB Tethering is free unless your carrier has blocked it.
If you are sure it is allowed by your carrier, you still need to set up USB Tethering on Windows.
In this post, we will show you how to set up USB Tethering on Windows 10. USB port not working? No matter you are using Windows 10/8/7 or Mac, you can read this article to find a proper solution to fix this issue.
The way to make such a setup is quite simple. You can follow these steps:. Connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable.
Use your Android or iPhone to create a hotspot
If your phone asks you to enable the File Transfer feature on the screen, you need to cancel it.
- When you see the prompt like Tethering or Hotspot active - Tap to set up on your phone screen, just tap the option to continue.
- But, if you don’t see this prompt, you need to go to Settings > Network and Internet > Hotspot and tethering to manually enable USB Tethering.
A new network adapter will be created in Windows 10 and your computer will use it to connect to the internet. When you access Network settings on your computer, you need to make sure that the Wi-Fi feature is disabled on your phone.
Troubleshooting Windows 10 USB Tethering
Otherwise, USB Tethering will be disabled if your phone is connected to an existing network. Here, you need to know that the exact location of USB Tethering may be different on different brands of phones.
But, it is always clubbed with the Mobile and Data Network section.
- Do you know how to fix the Android file transfer not working or responding issue?
- In this post, we collect some solutions that are proved to be effective.
- Windows 10 is using the Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device network adapter to enable USB Tethering on Windows 10.
How to Set Up USB Tethering on Windows 10
If your USB Tethering is not working suddenly, you can do these things:. Check whether the Wi-Fi connection is connected automatically.
- If so, disable it. Check whether the USB cable is disconnected. Check whether the USB Tethering is accidentally turned off. If USB Tethering is still not working after these basic checks, you can enter Device Manager to update the NDIS driver to have a try.
- Press Win + X + M at the same time to open Device Manager. Unfold Network adapter. Right-click Remote NDIS Compatible Device and select Update driver.
- Then, you can go to check whether there is an available update. If yes, you can follow the guide to update it.
- If there is not, you need to manually view and locate the USB RNDIS6 Adapter and upgrade it. At last, reboot your computer to see whether USB Tethering can work normally.
- We hope this post can help you set up USB Tethering on Windows 10 and solve the USB Tethering not working issue when necessary. First, connect your Android or iPhone to your laptop with a USB cable.
- In the Windows taskbar, open the computer's Network and Internet settings to verify the connection.
This article explains how to set up USB tethering on Windows 10 devices, which allows you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot to access the internet even when no network connection is available. Troubleshooting tips are also included if something isn't working right.
- How to Set up USB Tethering on Windows 11.
Before you begin, make sure both your phone's operating system and your computer's operating system are updated to the latest versions. Also, depending on your mobile carrier, you may be charged a flat fee for tethering a laptop to a mobile device.
Check with your carrier if you're worried about extra costs. To set up USB tethering between your mobile device and your Windows 10 computer:. Connect your mobile device to your laptop via USB cable.