How to fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error
Many users have encountered the error “This copy of Windows is not genuine” displayed in Windows 7. How did this happen? Read this article and you will get the reasons and solutions of “This copy of Windows is not genuine” error.
How to Fix “This copy of Windows is not genuine” issue in Windows 7
How to Permanently Remove This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine on Windows 7/10
Windows 7 background suddenly changes to the black screen and there are watermarks like “Windows 7 Build 7601/7600” and “This copy of Windows is not genuine” in the bottom-right of the black screen. How does this happen? This error occurs when you are running the Windows 7 that’s not genuine or your license got expired.
Besides, this error occurs due to Windows update KB971033.
If you are running a genuine Windows 7 but “This copy of Windows is not genuine” issue occurs, you could refer to the following solutions to fix that.
Please note that the following methods are provided for the users who use original Windows but still encounter “This copy of Windows is not genuine” issue.
We hereby call on everyone to support genuine Windows! Step 2: In the Command Prompt, type in: SLMGR –REARM.
Step 1: Press “Win” + “R” key to open Run box. Then type in: regedit.exe. Step 2: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
Step 3: Double click “SoftwareProtectionPlatform”. Then double click the “SkipRearm”in the right pane.
1. By ‘SLMGR -REARM’ Command
FAQ: Read More About This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Issue
Change the value to 1 and click “OK”. Finally, restart the PC. The following method can fix “This copy of Windows is not genuine” error on volume-licensed Windows 7 clients that had KB971033 installed.
But please note that Removing installed Windows update can cause data loss. So it’s suggested to back up your PC before Windows update is uninstalled.
Want to get a more reliable way to back up Windows 7? It’s recommended to use Renee Becca.
For more details of how to use Renee Becca, please refer to the guide for Windows 7 backup and recovery.
After your PC is backed up successfully, you could start to uninstall the Windows update KB971033 following the steps as below. Step 1: Click start menu and click “Control Panel”.
Step 2: Click “System and Security”. Then click the “View installed updates” option under “Windows Update”. Step 3: Double click the Windows update KB971033.
When a window pops up, click “Yes”. Then restart the PC. Operating System. KMS KMS Client Keys. Windows 7 Professional.
Windows 7 Professional E. Windows 7 Enterprise. John Weaver : Local disk C is getting full after the PC is used for a period of time.
Miller : How to choose the partition table for a new disk? In the essay, we will tell you the.. This copy of Windows is not genuine is one of the most common errors in Windows 7 or Windows 10 operating system.
You can try to fix the error by uninstalling update KB971033, using the RSOP command and other useful approaches.
"After the Windows 7 build 7601 update, my computer's desktop wallpaper suddenly turns black with program icons still visible.
At the same time, an error message displays as this copy of Windows is not genuine. I restart the computer, and nothing's changed but for a dark black background.
How do I remove this copy of Windows is not genuine error permanently and make my computer work properly?"
You did not activate your Windows license after the trial period. The Windows operating system’s license that you are using is expired or blocked.
Though This copy of Windows is not genuine message keeps showing up when you're at work, and it's annoying; there are some effective ways to remove the problem and the black background trouble that it came with.
Here is how you can do to resolve Windows is not genuine issue.
There are several ways you can try to fix the Windows is no genuine error whether or not you are using a legitimate version of Windows 7 or Windows 10.
But NOTE that these methods won't help convert a pirate copy of Windows to a genuine one.
So, to use all features of Windows 7, you have to buy a genuine piece and use a verified activation code.
Windows 7 KB971033 update includes Windows Activation Technologies and an updated file that helps detect whether Windows is genuine.
- If Windows 7 hasn't been activated properly, you may receive a message on the lower right part of the desktop stating, "Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of Windows is not genuine".
- Hence, you can choose to delete this update to remove Windows 7 genuine notification build 7601/7600.
- Caution: This method tends to be a little risky. Uninstalling update files might result in a malfunction of other program files or unexpected data loss on the computer.
- To make the procedure safe, you'd better use EaseUS backup software to back up the computer before erasing the update file.
Click the "Select backup contents" button to start backup. There are four data backup categories, File, Disk, OS, and Mail, click File.
2. By Uninstalling Update
Both local and network files will be listed on the left. You can expand the directory to select the files to be backed up.
Follow the on-screen guide, select the destination where you want to save the backup. Click "Options" to encrypt the backup with password in "Backup Options", set the backup schedule and choose to start back up at certain event in "Backup Scheme".
There are also many other options you can explore, customize the backup task according to your need.
- You can store the backup to local drive, EaseUS's cloud service, and NAS. EaseUS Todo Backup enables users to back up data to both third-party cloud drive and its own cloud drive.
- If you want to back up data to third-party cloud drive, choose Local Drive, scroll down to add Cloud Device, add and login your account.
- You can also choose EaseUS's own cloud drive. Click EaseUS Cloud, sign up with your EaseUS Account and log in. Click "Backup Now" to start backup.
After the backup task is completed, it will be displayed in the form of a card on the left side of the panel.
Right-click the backup task to further manage it. You may also want to read:. The step-by-step guide to delete update KB971033.
Go to "Start" > open "Control Panel".
- Open "Programs and Features". Click on "View installed updates". After loading all installed updates, check for update "KB971033" and uninstall.
- Restart your PC. You can your computer's licensing status of your computer so that you won't see the "this copy of Windows is not genuine 7601/7600" message on your desktop.
- To do so, you need to use the SLMGR -REARM Command.
- SLMGR stands for Windows Server License Manager Script that manages the license of your computer.
- REARM command will reset the licensing status of the machine in both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit and all versions of the Windows operating system.
Click on the start menu and type cmd in the search field. Right-click on the cmd and click on Run as Administrator. It must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
3. By Using ‘rsop.msc’ Command
Type SLMGR -REARM and press Enter. Now you will see a confirmation window; click on "OK". Restart your PC, and you will find that the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message no longer occurs.
If the Windows is not genuine message is still there, you can repeat try slmgr /rearm in the command prompt.
If an error message saying that "This maximum allowed number of rearms has been exceeded" when you run the SLMGR -REARM command, you can fix the issue in the following way:.
Open the Run window by hitting Win + R keys. Input regedit.exe and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > WindowsNT > Current version".
Expand the Current version, find and click on the SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
Find SkipRearm and right-click it to choose Modify. Change the value from 0 to 1 and click on OK. Exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer. The Windows not genuine should be solved this time. Sometimes, your computer policy may not be configured correctly and may therefore run with an error message.
You might fix the Windows is not genuine error by reconfiguring the Plug and Play Group Policy object with the RSOP command.
- Go to "Windows settings" > "security system" > "system services", then look for the "Plug and play services".
- Right-click on it and choose "Properties".
- In the Select Service Startup Mode option, check the "Automatic" option, and save the changes. Press Windows + R button as you did at the first step.
Type gpupdate/force into the run box. Hit the Enter button, and wait for its execution to be completed. Restart your PC and check whether the Windows is not genuine issue is fixed or not. As we've mentioned, an update file can easily detect your Windows is genuine or not, so make sure you won't install any updates in the future.
Follow the steps to switch off all Windows automatic updates. Note: Disabling Windows update makes you not upgrade your Windows to the latest version to fix bugs or get new features, which isn't approved or supported by Microsoft.
Fix 3. Reconfigure Plug and Play Service with RSOP Command
Do I have a genuine copy of Windows?
Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings. Do you prefer a one-click solution to disable the Windows automatic update feature?
If so, get the versatile toolkit - EaseUS CleanGenius to help you. With it, you can disable/enable Windows Update, repair hard drives, remove/enable write-protection, and more within seconds.
To disable Windows Update:. DOWNLOAD EaseUS CleanGenius for free and install it on your computer. Launch EaseUS CleanGenius and go to "Optimization". The tool will detect the status of the Windows Update service automatically. If Windows Update is currently enabled, click the switch to stop the service.
Why does my computer say this copy of Windows is not genuine?
If you want to check whether you have disabled the service automatically, go to "Start" > type "Services" > right-click "Services" and choose "Run as administrator".
- In the list of services, find and right-click "Windows Update" > "Properties". In the "Service status" section, you should see the service has been stopped.
- The most likely reason for the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" problem is that you are using a pirated Windows system.
- A pirated system may not have as comprehensive functions as a legitimate one. Most importantly, there are security holes, which can put your computer at great risk.
- So, be sure to use a legitimate Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Don't buy Windows OS from third-party e-commerce stores. In case you had problems and had paid for a license, you have to contact your vendor.
Relate Links :
Microsoft support only helps you resolve the issue when you buy Windows OS from the Microsoft store. We hope the above methods could solve this copy of Windows is not genuine build 7601/7600 issue on your Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer.
Windows is not genuine is one of the high-frequency problems. And fortunately, this problem usually does not cause data loss. But other unexpected computer problems, such as system crash, hard drive failure, or unknown virus attack could damage your computer and lead to severe data loss.
Fix 5. Make Sure Your Computer License Is Legitimate
- Windows 7 KB971033 update has an updated file and Windows Activation Technologies that can detect if your Windows operating system is authorized or pirated.
- If your Windows isn't legitimate, you will get the message "This copy of Windows is not genuine".
- If you did not activate your Windows license after the trial period or the license is expired, you will also see this error message.
- You can perform Windows genuine validation in Settings.