How to Install Windows XP x64 SP1 Pro on Windows 10 using Oracle VM VirtualBox 6
There are a couple of methods to install Windows XP Virtual machine on Windows 10 using different platforms such as Oracle VirtualBox, Vmware and Hyper-V.
Windows XP virtual machine on VirtualBox
How To Install Windows XP ISO On Windows 10 VirtualBox
Windows XP is an old but dominated operating system of the world during its heydays. However, this Windows XP is not supported officially but available in bootable ISO image form for free to download and use.
Here we will show how to install Windows XP on Oracle VirtualBox as an emulator on Windows 10 step by step using its ISO file.
- This will allow you to continue to use Windows XP on Emulator without having to install it on your PC.
- Here is the glance of the steps we are going to follow for the installation of Window XP Virtual Machine using ISO file on VirtualBox running on Windows 10.
- However, steps will be the same for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Download Windows XP ISO file and copy the license key as well and save it on a notepad.
- For links see the main step 1 of this article.
- Install Oracle VirtualBox on your Windows 10/8/7 PC.
- Run the VirtualBox and click on the NEW button to create a new Virtual Machine.
Type the name of OS -Windows XP and rest will set by default.
Create Virtual Hard disk (VHD) and set RAM.
Select the created Windows XP virtual Machine appearing on the left side of the VirtualBox main screen.
- Click on Settings option from the menu.
- Select the StorageSettings.
- Click on the empty CD icon and then again from the attributes select the CD icon.
- Navigate and select the downloaded windows XP ISO file.
- Save it and Start the Virtual Machine and Windows XP boot menu will appear.
- Follow the installation wizard and it will be on your Oracle Virtualbox to experience.
- The first step towards the Virtual installation is to get an ISO image of this old operating system.
As I mentioned above that it is free and avail by Microsoft itself officially along with License key.
Thus, use this link which will open the page of Archive.org, where click on the ISO image link given on the right side under the Download section, this will allow you to download Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 ISO image.
Just on the same page, the free but official professional key for the same will have been given. Copy that and jot down somewhere like NotePad.
Virtualize Windows XP with VirtualBox on Windows 11
So, we have now the ISO file of Windows XP professional 32-bit service pack 3, its time to get the Oracle VirtualBox.
- Here is the link to Download VBox.
- In case you already have the Vbox on your system then simply move to next.
- The installation of the VBox is like any other executable software meant for Windows nothing will be complicated at all.
- Run VirtualBox and click on the New button given on the Menu of it.
- Now in the Name box, type- Windows XP and its corresponding options will automatically get setup.
Then click on the Next button. Although the Windows XP perfectly works under 512 MB RAM, however, here we are assigning 1GB for better working and smooth performance.
- To store the installation file we need to attach a Virtual Hard drive to our Virtual Machine.
- The VirtualBox will automatically set it to 10GB which is enough.
- Thus, leave the default settings and click on the NEXT.
On the Next window, it will ask you to select the type of Virtual Hardrive, by default it will be VDI, however, here we are selecting VHD.
Step 1: Download Windows XP ISO and License
It is because in case, tomorrow we want to run it under Windows Hyper-V, we can easily use the Windows XP VHD image.
Next, Select Dynamic allocated option. File allocation and Size: By default, the VirtualBox will save all file of the machine on C: drive, if you want to change click on the folder icon and select the place.
Finally, click on the Create button. Select the created VirtualMachine and click on the Settings button given on the top menu of VBox. From Settings -> click on the Storage-> Empty CD icon under storage device-> again on CD icon of Attributes and then “Choose Virtual Optical Disk File“.An explorer will open select the downloaded Windows XP ISO image.
- Click on the OK button. Now, our XP Virtual Machine is ready, time to boot it up.
- For that select the created virtual machine from the left side of the VBox panel and click on the Start button given in the menu of the same.
- Windows XP Professional Setup will open, press the Enter button to continue.
Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. As we are installing Windows XP on VirtualBox, thus, a single partition will appear, simply press the enter button to format the whole partition.
By default, slow formatting option will be selected, use the arrow key of the keyboard and select “ Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)”.
After some time, it will ask you to enter the license key for Windows XP.
Type this official serial key: MRX3F-47B9T-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY and click on the NEXT button to complete the installation. Once it will be done, you will get the old but very familiar interface of Windows XP with familiar startup sound.
Thus, in this way, we can install our old Windows XP system on VirtualBox Virtual Machine for testing legacy software or learning purpose. Other Articles to read:. Last modified on March 12th, 2022 at 11:13 am.
Tutorial To install Windows XP ISO On Windows 10 VirtualBox.
Windows XP was one of the most famous and game-changing operating systems in the World. There won’t be any mistake if we say Windows XP as the icon of the operating system revolution.
It helped to skyrocket the fortune of Microsoft and its associates. Windows XP is not supported officially you can download an ISO file and use it.
Here we will show the step-by-step process to install Windows XP on Oracle VirtualBox on Windows 10. At first, you need to download the Windows XP ISO file.
You can download the Windows XP ISO file from this link.
Now after downloading the Windows XP Iso file, you need to download and install Oracle VirtualBox on your Windows.
- Now, it’s time to set up a virtual box so that you can install Windows XP ISO.
- Run the VirtualBox and create a new Virtual Machine and follow the onscreen instruction like creating a name and else.
- You also need to create a Virtual Hard disk (VHD) and set RAM.
- After this process, select the created Windows XP virtual Machine appearing on the left side of the main screen.
- Now you need to configure the storage setting by clicking on the Settings option from the menu.
There you need to select an empty CD icon and then again from the attributes select the CD icon.